Friday, February 12, 2010

Cell Phone Follies

I've been trying to find a decent cell phone with a good antenna, since I live in a marginal area. Just a phone. I don't travel, except between home & work. I just want to talk occasionally on my cell, not take pictures, email, text or anything else. I have a couple of good cameras & computers to do those tasks. So I want a cell phone that is just a GOOD phone.

I can't find one.

I tried a lot of different searches for cell phones, specifically for antenna ratings. Nothing comes up. I found a couple of sites that would help me search for features on particular cell phones, but they were geared to the wrong direction. Take a look at
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php

Phone Scoop might be wonderful for you, but I can't tell it that I don't want a feature. I can only say that I don't care if the feature is available. I do care - I don't want a crappy camera, a keyboard or a touch screen! I'd rather have the extra space used for a good battery & antenna. I can choose a specific type of antenna, but I'm no expert on antenna types. Is a stub antenna better than an extendable one or not? I would think it would depend more on the antenna design.

My cell phone search illustrates a problem I've seen growing with our society my entire life. Our economy is based on conspicuous consumption, a trend that has grown until finding a good product is becoming impossible. We can find cheap, trendy, feature-packed, but a solid, no-nonsense, quality product is becoming a thing of the past, especially in consumer electronics.

1 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Michelle CF said...

oh yeah! Another soapbox rant moment here, but I'm not up to typing it. Short version - hubby's a builder and does stonework = concrete, cement and stone dust, water... try finding a phone that copes with that?

It took him weeks of walking shops/towns flat, arguing with stupid salesmen trying to sell him flimsy cute fragile phones.

He eventually found a "brick" style Sony that fits into a clear plastic case, leaving just the keys open. It has survivbed the longest, but it's still not satisfactory.

As my husband pointed out - there's a huge gap in the market for phones for active outdoor use. Everything is geared for teenagers, businessmen... or Barbie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home