Thursday, February 11, 2010

Google & my virtual world...

Gmail was the best email client I'd ever found & I've been using web based email clients since they came out. So I got an account & have used it ever since. Then they added other items. The personalized home page has long been a favorite. Google docs, not so much, but I've used them on occasion. I share a Google Calendar with the family.

I avoided any social networking sites for years. Then I found Goodreads.com, a place for folks that like to read. The wall of my resistance to social networking was breached & I found myself joining Facebook. Why? I'm not really sure. It's kind of a nice way to keep up with friends & family. I don't do a lot on there.

Now Google has packaged all their offerings together into something that's very Facebook like, but much more comprehensive: Google Buzz. I'm getting sucked in & can't help it.

I have limited time, interest & capacity. I like discussing books on GoodReads, but I've abandoned my LibraryThing account, even though I paid for a lifetime membership. The duplication of effort & time just isn't worth it. I can see the same thing happening between Facebook & Google Buzz.

Google has trained me over the years to use their web apps. They did one thing, did it well to start, then tweaked it until it was awesome. I got used to each app, used them & incorporated them into my daily routine. My Gmail login gives me instant access to them. Now they're rolled together into a better, single package. Is this a Facebook Killer? It just may be for me.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home